At midnight, all the agents and superhuman crew, go out and round up everyone who knows more than they do.

It is AMAZING the things that can render me completely depressed:

- any thoughts of global warming
- reading that Scooter Libby was pardoned
- the season finale of House
- reading The Time Traveler's Wife

But it's not one of those things right now that's got me down. No...that would be seeing the condos that took the place of ManRay. Sigh.

As luck would have it the universe sent me a cure for all depression last week, in the form of the Watchmen trailer. The Dark Knight was also good.

I think one of the things I have going for me as far as potentially liking this adaptation is that I'm *not* a comic book geek. I didn't grow up on them. I've read a grand total of 4.2 (that would be Watchmen, V For Vendetta, the Maus books, and two of the Sandman volumes). I have one friend in particular who loves the book, but DOES NOT BELIEVE that the movie will be good on any level. I just like the story. I mean, it's a REALLY good story.

Oh, also - another thing that makes me profoundly depressed: reading internet discussion boards (like imdb's or Ain't it Cool's). Because no one stops to think that there might be actual thought going on behind the decision to alter the costume design from what was originally in the graphic novel.

OK, but here's where I am a TOTAL geek. The Watchmen film has kept a production diary online, with a couple of videos on the film's set and costume design:

Watch them build the sets and age them and paint layers of graffiti and stuff!
Stare in wonder at the warehouses full of costumes from all periods, and the research images they've collected to inspire the design!

There are others, too, including one on the process of setting someone on fire.

Back to re-reading.



(8/5/08 ETA: Since the posting of this entry I have since been informed of four more graphic novels I have read - the entire Spider Garden series by Michael Manning. This will surprise approximately no one.)
1 comment

Popular posts from this blog

How much does a heart attack cost? And what does that have to do with NEA cuts and iPhones?

The Problem With Sleep No More's Audience.

It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.