Saturday, June 19, 2010

If you do nothing, it means nothing, and all those wild, wild feelings go to waste.

FORESTS-IN-STORAGE update:

Katie is away until the beginning of July so I'm continuing to work on this project in her absence. I went out this afternoon to talk to several storage places in Austin and to hopefully nail down space for our second Forest. At one place I met with a guy who was really, really excited about the project and who is an artist himself - at another place, I got the response "now I've heard everything."

One thing I noticed while talking to both places is that they very much want to know WHAT you're storing. It's one of the first things (if not THE first thing) they asked. Renting storage space is apparently not like having a Swiss bank account or a safety deposit box. At least next time I'll be prepared to answer that question!

Both places I went to turned out to be nationwide chains. I don't know enough about storage spaces to know that "Public Storage" is not local. Both places have a lot of regulations and people to talk to before they can say that our project is ok (and I have a feeling the second place will just tell me no in a day or two). We totally understand their rules. However. I have to wonder about locally owned businesses - I might have better luck tomorrow if I narrow my search down more to people who might be more flexible or have a greater understanding of the arts community in Austin.

Off to a Machinal post-mortem picnic. I'm getting re-immersed in Second Life, too, and researching and brainstorming about our second Selkie production in Houston this November.
Post a Comment